To get represented Megan Close Zavala, you’ll need to have any 2 or more of these credentials:
- A very good nonfiction book idea
- 10 or more speaking engagements (paid or unpaid) in the last 12 months
- A social media Klout.com score in the 50s or above – with highly engaged followers
- An obvious growth trajectory – you are becoming more successful rapidly on social media, podcasting or “real” media
- A mailing list of at least 25K followers/fans
- A firm 100% commitment to buy at least 2,000 copies of your own book back from the publisher. You will get at least 50% off the list (cover) price – which is about $12 per book.
To get represented by Senior Agent Wendy Keller, you’ll need to have at least one of these credentials (although most clients have 2 or more) on a subject at least loosely related to the proposed topic of your book:
- 20 or more paid speaking engagements in the last 12 months
- You are the “only” or “best” or “top award winning” something
- High status in business, medicine, science or the arts
- An aggregate social media following in excess of 50,000 people (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Mailing list of 75K or more
- Previous New York Times best seller within the last 5 years
- Host a radio/TV show or are a regular media guest
- A group of celebrity, business or prominent author friends who will agree to co-promote your book
- Syndicated writer with an active readership
- Signed contract with a studio to produce a movie or host a show related to topic of your book
- C-level executive for a nationally (or internationally) recognized company
- An unusual “claim to fame” that has not already been exploited fully on the media
You do not need a solid book idea to be represented by Wendy. She and her team can help you develop a strong book concept once you are a client.
These criteria may seem harsh or stringent to you, but as the publishing industry has changed in the last decade and the competition for the consumer’s “eyeball” has intensified, every single publisher demands that a nonfiction author show up with some of these benefits already in place.
If you want help getting to this level, check out our products and consulting programs here.